Friday, October 15, 2010

Do you "Freezer Cook"?

Here is a great way to save time and money in the kitchen.  I challenge you to give it a try!
The concept - Meals that are cooked ahead and frozen, so dinner prep is fast and easy!  Keep in mind that there are no right or wrong ways to "Freezer Cook".  You can google "freezer cooking" or "freezer meals" for thousands of recipes and ideas. It's all based around utilizing food that you have purchased on sale, so your expenses are less  A few suggestions for freezer cooking:

1. Freeze raw chicken breast with marinade in freezer bags, take out as much air as possible.  Put in in refrigerator to thaw the morning that you want to cook them.  Remove from bag, place in casserole dish and bake as usual.
2. Cook larger batches of food and freeze part of it.  I do this alot with spaghetti sauce, chili beans, and manwich.  It makes for very quick dinners durng the week.
3. If you have freezer space, you can put casseroles together and freeze, remove from freezer the morning you want to have it for dinner and cook as usual. 
4. If I find large packs of hamburger on sale, I will brown all of it at one time and divide it up into 1 lb. portions.  Freeze them and I have browned hamburger for tacos, or other foods that call for hamburger.  You just throw it back in the skillet to heat up and add it to your favorite dishes.

You will be amazed at how much time this will save you.  I find that we are able to eat at home more often instead of picking up fast food, since the prep is easy and fast!

If you are willing to take the "Freezer Food" challenge - leave a comment below.  Remember, you will save the most, by buying your meat when its on sale!  My motto is - We eat what is on sale!!!  It's a no brainer!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elizabeth - I've been reading up on freezer cooking - I've done a little in the past but not on a regular basis - I think I'd like to give it a try, Monica Scearce

    ReplyDelete